Batonga was founded in 2006 by fearless gender equality advocate and celebrated Beninese singer-songwriter Angelique Kidjo. With strong support from both the creative industry and the social impact sector, Batonga addresses the pressing issues faced by adolescent girls and young women most in-need on the African continent. We focus on dismantling the norms and barriers holding them back, and help them transform their potential into the power to lead healthy, independent, safe, and fulfilling lives.
Adolescent girls are incredible change-makers in their communities, but face many barriers and challenges in accessing knowledge, solidarity networks, and concrete support. Batonga equips them with critical life skills & knowledge ranging from reproductive health to financial literacy, so that they can know their rights, build their self-confidence, and plan their economic future. Through our community-based girl groups (“Batonga Clubs”), girls from 12 to 18 access safe spaces, dedicated mentors, and a peer community. Clubs also house small businesses managed by the girls, that enable them to collectively learn about finances, entrepreneurship, and how to be economically independent.
The Batonga foundation is searching for a curriculum development expert to help facilitate the creation of Batonga’s own curriculum content for its girls clubs. This will be a 30-day consultancy, with potential to extend if necessary. Batonga currently uses curriculum content from several sources to inform our girls’ clubs education plans. Curriculum content will cover rights education, socio-emotional skill building, adolescent health, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship. Batonga‘s program staff will work closely with the consultant to provide them with more detailed information about the key learning priorities for this curriculum content as well as information on the girls club program implementation structure. Batonga plans to launch its new curriculum content in early 2021.
- Written French fluency required
- Extensive knowledge of education theories and practices, and methods of curriculum research, preparation and evaluation
- Expertise in curriculum design/development and adolescent learning
- Experience developing content specifically through a gender/feminist lens
- Experience developing content for African audiences, west African audiences preferred
- Rights based education experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead consensus building during collaborative processes to achieve a final product
- Comfortable and experienced working in multicultural settings and teams
Expected Outputs and Responsibilities:
- Review and revise current curriculum resources used by Batonga as well as education plans/priorities outlined by Batonga’s program staff, in addition to producing original curriculum content for Batonga.
- Clearly outline curriculum scope and sequence, learning outcomes and skills outcomes for young adolescents through older adolescents.
- Curriculum content will need to be appropriate and adaptable for girls ages 12 to 18 and specifically contextually appropriate to West African adolescent girls.
- Many lessons should be able to be used for both younger and older adolescents with in-lesson options for changes/adaptations to the execution of the lesson based on audience age.
- Virtually lead piloting of curriculum materials and lead revision process.
- Virtually assist with first training of trainers on new curriculum materials.
The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Batonga Foundation is committed to creating a diverse, multicultural, and vibrant team, reflective of our values and the people whom we serve. Batonga provides equal employment, compensation and promotion opportunities to all applicants regardless of age, race, color, ethnicity, genetics, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual identity or orientation, disability, marital status, national origin, or any other characteristic as protected by federal, state, or local ordinance or law.
To apply to this position, please send an updated CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com before October 31st, 2020.